Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Turtle Power

Here are 3 of the 5 turtles we have in the tank. We started out with 3 turtles that Larry has had since he was a little boy. One came to us when my brother was living here in Ft. Worth. The turtle came knocking at his door and he brought it straight to us. Cecil, the smallest of them all, my Mom found and gave to Josh. So he comes from Seguin.


One of the oldest turtles died a year or so ago. We don't know why. My neighbor came knocking on my door one day. He had a turtle in his hand and asked if it was ours. (Obviously he would come to us first, right?) I told him yes, thinking we had a turtle trying to escape. I took it from him and put it back in the tank. Turns out it wasn't ours. What can I say, they all look alike!! So even though one died, it got replaced.

We have found other turtles but have had to sadly turn them away. We go turn them loose near the lake. 4 of our 5 turtles are skittish. As soon as someone walks outside they jump off the big rock into the water. One turtle doesn't seem to mind. I think it's because its gotten use to Sam being out there playing around the tank, throwing his toys in it and scooping water out to make mud.

Larry feeds them most anything. They eat frozen shrimp, frozen fish, turtle food and at one time dry dog food. I wish the kids weren't as picky about what they ate.

The rock you see in the picture is the one from Possum Kingdom. The one where Larry picked it up, a mouse came running out and I tried to run for the hills while knocking the kids over at the same time. We got it so all 5 turtles could fit on it. Can you see Rocky in the water? He's to the right of the rock. I can make out his body and tail.

No comments: